Monday, September 8, 2008

Ohhhhhrrrrrrr Hellooooorrrrrrrrr


Ok, so I was at work and someone from "across the pond" came in and we were chatting it up and whatnot....... and it reminded me of something. If it is called the ENGLISH language, why is it that the English seem to have the hardest time with it? I motion to have it re-named to AMERICAN.


"How will I know if I speak English or American?" you might be asking yourself. Luckily I have devised a simple test. Just read the following sentence out loud to find out if you speak the TRUE English (aka - American) or "English" (aka - British).


Heather, from America, says hello.


If your sentence sounded more like, "Heatha, from Ameriker, says hellowr" you speak British. Jolly good effort though!


The "er" in Heather is not pronounced like an "a" and words ending in "a" should not sound like they end in "er" in the English language. As for the "r" added on the end of the world "hello" I have no clue but I have head it there before.


Now, some might take this as me not liking the British, which is hardly the case. The Brits are a delightful bunch of chaps who have brought the world such fantastic things such as bangers and mash, rhyme slang, and the world's hottest couple; Posh and Becks! They have one of the strongest currencies in the world and, up until recently, given James Bond that "je ne sais quoi" that makes the ladies swoon (thanks a lot for not even trying to be British Daniel Craig!).


So I guess the never-ending battle between the Brits and their rebellious American offshoot continues.